After 14 days of searching, the operation now turns to a "recovery" phase. None of the 46 victims recovered from the wreckage as of Wednesday morning survived the initial collapse, authorities said.
Close to 90 people are still unaccounted for. The death toll stands at 54 but is expected to rise.
No one had been pulled alive from the debris since early hours after the building partially collapsed on the 24th of June. Rescue crews, by Wednesday had removed 7 million pounds of concrete and cement from the wreckage said that they would keep searching as long as there was a chance someone could be found.
As of Wednesday morning, none of the dead recovered by search teams had survived the initial collapse, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Alan Cominsky told reporters earlier.
Families of victims were informed of the decision to transition to a "recovery" phase earlier Wednesday, officials said. Levine Cava called those conversations "devastating" and said support was being offered to them "to come to closure as soon as possible."
"This is our community, our neighbors, our families," she said. "And our first responders have truly searched that pile every single day since the collapse as if they're searching for their own loved ones."